Email marketing… What benefits can you reap when implementing an effective email marketing strategy?
Increased revenue? Perfect!
More high-quality clients? Sure!
Increased brand awareness? Yay, that’s true.
Email marketing automation… One additional word but a slightly different meaning. So, what is it, and how can it help your business thrive?
Basically, email marketing automation is a powerful tool that lets you send the right messages to the right people at the right time. It’s a strategy that allows you to send triggered or timed email series to subscribers in their inboxes. You no longer have to type a million words millions of times and manually send out emails every day. A well-thought-out automated email marketing strategy is here to help you out.
The Benefits of Email Automation
- You personalize your customers’ experience. And customers adore personalization! 91% of consumers claimed that they prefer the brands that remember them and provide relevant proposals.
- You save the time of your marketing team. Instead of writing and scheduling emails, the marketing team can focus on more important tasks and become more productive AND eager to work. Less routine tasks = bigger enthusiasm.
You stay in touch with your customers. It’s much easier to sell something to a person you know rather than to someone you’ve just met. Email automation helps you to bring back an old client you haven’t heard from for a while.
- You reach a wider audience. When sending emails manually, you can’t reach as many clients as when it’s done automatically. And it’s ok — your marketing team is not a bunch of robots. With email automation, clients automatically integrate into your system when taking any of the tracked actions.
Sounds exciting, doesn’t it? Now, the next question that might pop into your mind is, “How can I build an outstanding email automation strategy?”
We’ve got you covered and prepared 5 proven and effective steps towards creating a top-notch email marketing automation strategy to rock the email world.
- Choose a high-quality email marketing automation tool
Let’s be honest here — there are A LOT of different tools you can find on the Internet, each claiming they are the best. We won’t advertise here any of them but rather give you a list of critical factors worth considering when choosing the right one:
Your ideal email marketing automation tool MUST:
- Have the ability to set up advanced communication sequences.
- Feature advanced statistics, such as the efficiency of a whole sequence, showing congestions in communication, e.g., where people leave the site, etc.
- Allow different communication paths to go on at the same time.
- And, of course, feature integration with e-commerce.
- Segment your audience
The “I can send the same emails to everyone in the list to get a higher open rate” thing doesn’t work. You have to segment your audience based on their buying behavior, interests, the purchased items, how they found you, etc.
Let’s suppose someone signed up for your newsletters from the “The Best Business Devices” page. You can put them in a business gadgets segment to send the latest business devices to make their work from home even more effective.
Or you can have a segment of clients who purchased a particular product. Your email should mention this product and convey as much personalized message as possible:
“Hey! We’ve noticed you LOVED our Revitalizing Shampoo. Here’s a list of similar hair care products to make your curls healthy and shiny.”
Segmentation allows you to personalize your automated emails and to get the best out of them.
- Engaging subject and content are a MUST
Applying an email marketing automation strategy doesn’t mean talking to the robots. Remember that you are writing to a HUMAN. Even if you’re in the B2B (business-to-business) industry, there is a person sitting in front of their computer reading your email. And you have to catch their attention…
For example, a tempting subject is the first step to make the client open your email.
Look at this one:
“Revitalizing Shampoo: the best hair product to try”
Eeeer… It’s so predictable. The client will already guess you are trying to sell them something. Again. They just scroll down, and you fall behind.
Instead, let’s make it exclusive by igniting the desire to know more:
“We can’t tell this email to everyone” — this subject makes the atmosphere between you and a client more intimate, more personal.
“Name, let’s have a one-on-one conversation” — oh Lord… I’d love to open this email!
The same works with content — it has to tempt, attract, be unique, and carry a personal message. Imagine it’s your friend reading it. Keep the words simple and conversational.
- Don’t ditch mobile-friendly design
It’s so irritating when you open an email on your mobile phone, and it looks… horrible. You have to make your email look nice when opened on all the possible devices to reach a wider audience.
This, at first sight, so minor detail can increase your mobile open rate up to 68% (!).
- Be up-to-date with email marketing trends
Of course, you don’t need to implement all the trends in your email strategy. However, you should know what will grab your audience’s attention. It will spice up your campaign and help achieve the desired results.
Here are some email marketing campaign trends to skyrocket your email marketing automation strategy:
- Implementing AI to predict the results, process vast amounts of customer data, and optimize various surveys.
- Incorporating user-generated content, such as feedback or real customer’ photos using your products.
- Making your emails interactive by adding gifs, polls, carousels to demonstrate your products, design mode options (light or dark mode), quizzes, tests, etc.
- Sending customer appreciation messages, such as birthday congratulation with a personal discount, thank you emails, etc.
- Implementing hyper-personalization.